Sunday, August 15, 2010

Shanti Orphanage



Yesterday i went to the Shanti Orphanage (located about 3 hours from where I am staying). There are 27 kids at this orphanage...and they are amazing. I was able to spend some time there and see where they live, how they live and also see some of the needs that they have. They do not speak English very well (if at all). There are only 2 that i was able to communicate with in English.




This is Roxana. She is one of the 2 that was able to communicate, a little, in english. She taught me some hindi (how to say 'Jesus loves You' and 'You are my little sister'). It is impossible for me not to smile when i see her. She is always smiling, even in the pictures i have from last year when i saw her.



This is the newest member of the orphanage. She came a couple months ago when her parents died. Every kid has a story, all of which you could write a book about.



They love taking pictures. They like to take my camera and see themselves in the pictures that i take. I noticed that there were no pictures anywhere in the house. I took pictures of all the kids yesterday while i was there. I am going to print up the pictures and bring them to the orphanage when i get back to Nagaland.





Always smiling.



This is my other little friend who speaks a little english.



About 10 feet from the orphange are the slums. There are tons of kids living in houses like you see in the background of this picture.



This girl is obviously a saints fan. She is getting ready for the Saints season by wearing her black and gold. =)



I asked yesterday about the adoptions process. 'Under no circumstances are any of the children adopted out' i was told. This is because, in the past, those who have adopted the children have turned them into child servants or sold them into the sex trade industry.

Everyday, I see how my 'needs' do not even compare to those living here in India. I was blown away by the living conditions that these kids live in. All 27 kids sleep on the floor (some in a room, some in a hallway). They have a little mat that they roll up and sleep on. They use the restroom outside of the orphanage. They do not have clean water and the food that is prepared for them is not prepared under safe conditions. They do not brush their teeth because they do not have toothbrushes or toothpaste. There are many more needs that i could list...

Help me help them? Please.

I want to do as much as i can for these kids while i am here. I would like to buy them 54 toothbrushes (so each child has an extra when one gets used up), toothpaste, 27 NEW pillows, maybe some shoes and some clothes (I can just go and buy alot, because each kid is a different size and they will all be able to be used) and anything else that i see that i can help them with. I brought some food yesterday (chocolates and cookies) to give the kids, but realized that was nothing compared to their needs. I will buy all these things (as much as i can afford) when i return from Nagaland in 3 weeks. If you would like to help me buy these things ($10 would really help), please click the donate button and you will be able to give me money. I will take photos of everything i buy and when i bring it to them so that you know that your money is being used wisely and for this purpose. I ask that you send me an email (sdaigle188@gmail.com) telling me that you have donated and if there is something specifically that you would like me to do with the money you give.

THANK YOU for reading this and praying for me. Please pray for the kids at the Shanti Orphanage. Pray that God continues to protect them and keep them safe while they are given an environment that shows them the love of Christ.

1 comment: