Friday, September 10, 2010

The Great Escape Part II

David and I rode on two buses for a total of 34 STRAIGHT hours to reach the border of India and Nepal. By FAR, the nastiest bus i have ever been on in my life. No sleep or rest for 34 hours. Once we arrived at the border i had to purchase a visa to get into Nepal. One of the languages that David speaks is Nepali...perfect.

Right when we entered Nepal there was a man standing there selling an airplane ticket to Katmandu (capital of Nepal) which left in 30 minutes. He told us it was the last plane leaving for Katmandu for a couple days. Again, Thank You God. I bought this ticket ($100 US) and went straight to the plane. The SMALLEST plane i've ever been on in my life. Hello Turbulence. David and I parted ways as he headed back to Nagaland (a two day journey).

By myself now.

After arriving at Katmandu, i grabbed my luggage and walked about a half a mile in the rain to the international airport. I attempted to go inside and buy a ticket when i was stopped by the police at the door and told to leave. I would not be allowed to enter and buy a ticket. I was standing there, in the rain, with the little that i had. I remember telling God, 'Here i am, you got me out of India. I hate to ask again, but please help me.' I was in a country i had never been in, dont speak the language and know nobody. About 1 minute after asking God to help me a man walked up to me speaking perfect english and said, 'Would it be ok if i help you?' I laughed. Is this for real? Never been so amazed by Gods faithfulness to take care of those who seek Him.

This man took me to a travel agency about 40 minutes from the airport. I sat in front of a big desk and the man asked me 'where are you coming from?'. I told him i was coming from Nagaland. He dropped the pen in is hand. He looked at me and said, 'I'm from Nagaland....How did YOU get into Nagaland? I was born there and i still have trouble getting in.' Again, God reminded me of how awesome he was and the amazing things he had done in my life over the past 2 weeks. An American boy from New Orleans was allowed into restricted area to preach the gospel, when not even those from that SAME restricted area can go.

He booked me a ticket and told me how much it was. $1500 US. Cant really express how i felt inside when he told me that number. That is an insane amount of money and i sat there debating on wether or not to just sleep on the street in Nepal so i wouldn't have to spend that much. On top of that, the last time i looked into my bank account, i only had $300 US. But i had to get home and knew, again, God would have to provide. I handed the man my card and waited for him to tell me 'Your card has been declined.' ....but that never happened. He gave me the receipt. I couldn't believe it. My friends back home in New Orleans, at iTuesday, and friends in Guatemala had raised enough money to put what i needed into my account to get home. That might be one of the most humbling moments of my life. To know that I have true friends, that pray for me and will go the distance, no matter what the cost. I definitely dont deserve to have friends like that. Blessed.

30 hours on 2 planes, im in Los Angeles. I have no cash, no phone and need to call my parents. I ask the lady sitting next to me if i can borrow her phone. She allows me to call my dad, who I begin to explain a little of what actually happened. After ending the conversation, i give the lady her phone back. She looks at me and says, 'So you've had a rough half of the day, huh?'. I just looked at her. Then it hit me. The door was open for me to share about Gods love to this lady. I talked to her for about an hour and told her about what had happened, my testimony and that God desired to have a relationship with her. NOT just the going to church and singing the songs, but that He wanted to know her and her to know Him. She listened the whole time. There is no big 'bow' on this story. We didn't pray together. She didn't commit her life to Christ. But the seed was planted. Blessed again to share about Gods love and mercy.



Here is a picture of one of the youth meetings in Nagaland.



Next Blog: Home. Help and Support.

No comments:

Post a Comment